[Bioperl-l] script installation

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Mar 11 11:24:48 EST 2003

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 07:56  AM, Aaron J Mackey wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Jason Stajich wrote:
>
>> The whole point is this:
>> Some people don't have perl installed in /usr/bin/perl.
>
> Then the correct answer is usually:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env perl

Usually, but not always. E.g., I keep a certain version in
/usr/local/bin/perl, which may or may not (depending on platform) be
identical to /usr/bin/perl, where the latter, not the former, would
come first in the path.

I don't really think there is a standard that every at least half-sane
person follows rigorously. Most often though, the perl you want to run
your scripts will be the perl that you use to run Makefile.PL. Isn't
there a way to figure what the path is to the perl that was used to run
Makefile.PL?

Alternatively, ask for the path during 'perl Makefile.PL'.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org