[Bioperl-l] script installation

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.mc.duke.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:47:04 EST 2003

The whole point is this:
Some people don't have perl installed in /usr/bin/perl.

The .PLS files are intended to be sort of like templates where you can
plug in the correct perl path in addition to installing them in a specific
system script directory (/usr/local/bin, /lab/bin, or /home/me/scripts if
you like)

This conversion is coded in the Gbrowse Makefile.PL because this is how
Lincoln makes the gbrowse.PLS into gbrowse and the process_wormbase.PLS
to process_wormbase.pl.
Basically there is a bit here in the GBrowse Makefile.PL which is passed
into the WriteMakefile routine:
             PL_FILES       => {

'bin/process_sgd.PLS' => 'bin/process_sgd.pl',
'bin/process_gadfly.PLS' => 'bin/process_gadfly.pl',
'bin/process_wormbase.PLS' => 'bin/process_wormbase.pl',
'bin/process_ncbi_human.PLS' => 'bin/process_ncbi_human.pl',
'gbrowse.PLS'  => 'gbrowse',
'gbrowse_img.PLS'  => 'gbrowse_img',
}

This all stemmed from Lincoln explaining it can be annoying for people
with non-standard perl locations if all the scripts expect to be run from
/usr/bin/perl

There is a processPL routine that is defined in ExtUtils::MakeMaker and
implemented by the various OS dependent implementations of MakeMaker which
already does this transformation I believe - you can override it as
Lincoln does in Gbrowse to accomplish some other transformations (perhaps
insert a VERSION number as well if we wanted).  This all may be as simple
as adding the hash above to the WriteMakefile arguments.  I just haven't
had the opportunity to really try and debug it.  If no one else wants to
give the magic a try I can see about it at the end of the week.

-jason