[Bioperl-l] bug #1396: *.PL to *.pod conversion is broken, makebailsout

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 6 20:59:54 EST 2003

I'm sorry, I'm obviously coming in late to the party, so I'm not entirely
sure what happened before I got here.  Looking at the repository, it looks
like (correct me if I'm wrong):

* we wanted to have a one-stop location for setting a few "global" values
(like $VERSION and I guess, @AUTHORS)

* we use Makefile.PL to write to bioperl.conf (so VERSION is set only in
Makefile.PL and cascades to everything else)

* LocalConfig reads bioperl.conf to grab the values

* we use LocalConfig when we want access to $VERSION.

* we have some .pod docs in which we want to have $VERSION (so we turn the
.pod's into .PL scripts, and need to jump through interpolation hoops to
only get $VERSION interpolated and nothing else).

This all seems very baroque, but I understand the complexities involved.
My suggestion re: Pod::Constants is not applicable in this situation,
since we want to get code into POD, not vice versa.

RE: version numbers, it'd actually be very useful if the top-level
$VERSION could be propagated throughout the entire object hierarchy (so I
could say "use Bio::SeqIO 1.2" if I needed).  If $VERSION is really the
only reason for the entire system outlined above, then I think there must
be a better way to do this ... (various source filters come to mind).

Something to think about for 1.3 ...

-Aaron

--
 Aaron J Mackey