[Bioperl-l] bond() operator

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Mon Mar 3 13:02:52 EST 2003

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 08:20  AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

> Well... is this a bug?
>

> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/embl/Documentation/FT_definitions/
> feature_table.html#operators
>
> bond is not in there.

Right. That's why I sent a grumbling email when this first came up
whether Genbank wants to repeat the same mistake (mistake IMHO anyways)
it made a while ago with annotating polymorphisms, namely to fold
annotation into the location string.

With polymorphisms, they used the dreaded replace('A', 100) syntax.
Meanwhile they corrected this and it's now a feature with key
'variation' and standard location syntax.

Having annotation and location folded into the same string really
creates a whole mess in bioperl with regard to parsing this out in a
structured manner, and even worse, round-tripping. So, quite honestly,
I do hope that NCBI backs off of that, as they did for replace(). But
maybe I'm missing something.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org