[Bioperl-l] general Analysis client added

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 3 19:36:53 EST 2003

Dear users,
   I have added two interfaces (Bio::AnalysisI and
Bio::Factory::AnalysisI) into bioperl-live and their implementation in
Bio::Tools::Run. It represents a SOAP-based client allowing to call remote
(mostly command-line) analysis tools from BioPerl. For the time being,
it calls by default an experimental service running at EBI on top of
(all) EMBOSS applications - but my intention is to change it soon-ish to
contact services running at the open-bio servers.
   The documentation is available at
http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab/Perl_Client.html (and inside the
modules, of course). You can also play with the new modules using a
provided script 'panalysis.PLS'.
   The documentation also signals further steps: to finish and commit
modules for AnalysisServer - so BioPerl will be able to be used on the
server side as well (as it is now already with Heikii's EMBOSS modules -
but the new modules will hopefully be more general allowing to add new
packages, such as statistical package "R", easily). This should be
definitely finished before this year BOSC (actually I want to present it
there :-)).

   I will appreciate any comments and suggestion on the released modules.

   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger