[Bioperl-l] Bio::FeatureHolderI interface confusion

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 12:17:19 EDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 01:06  AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

>> Ok, here's a constructive suggestion
>>
>> (1) add mutability operations to the SeqFeatureI interface, as Hilmar
>> suggests.
>
> I *really* dislike mutability to interfaces. Certain implementations
> just
> can't do it. Mutability is an implementation specific case. Or we need
> split into immutable and mutable interfaces.

I agree with certain implementations not being able to support
mutability. Splitting into mutable and immutable interfaces does
contribute to the explosion of interfaces though, and quite honestly in
90% of use cases you need mutability anyway, and literally all modules
in bioperl are mutable.

What about allowing implementors to throw an exception on set if they
don't support mutability?

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org