[Bioperl-l] strand() question

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Tue Jun 10 13:59:40 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003, at 11:55 US/Pacific, Jason Stajich wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Steve Chervitz wrote:
>
>> The documentation in GenericHit incorrectly refers you to see
>> SearchUtils. It should instead point you at the interface module which
>> GenericHit implements: Bio::Search::Hit::HitI::strand(). Here's a link
>> to the corresponding HTML version for this method:
>> http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-1.2/Bio/Search/Hit/
>> HitI.html#POD25
>>
>> I fixed this and similar documentation bugs in GenericHit on the main
>> trunk.
>>
>> This brings up the issue of what to do with method documentation in an
>> interface module and corresponding implementation modules. The
>> approach
>> I've been favoring is to refer to the interface documentation from the
>> implementing module and include only implementation-specific docs in
>> the implementing module's method POD.
>>
>> The alternative approach is to cut-and-paste the method POD from the
>> interface into the impl, but this leads to redundancy and
>> synchronization problems and more maintenance work.
>
> yes but people can't seem to figure out the object hierarchy so I've
> been
> pretty explicitly cutting and pasting where appropriate.  I hate it
> but we
> definitely had a lot of people unable to understand where the ->query
> and
> ->hit methods came from for HSPs because they are defined in
> Bio::SeqFeature::SimilarityPair.

I agree it is more convenient to have all of the methods docs in place.
It makes it easier when using perldoc or when reading source code in an
editor. Since these are probably the most common ways to read the docs,
it makes sense to cater to them. It hurts, but I guess I can follow
suit until a better solution comes along (Perl 6?).

When you do cut and paste docs, I like how you have included a note
indicating which methods come from another module. In GenericHSP for
example:

=head2 Inherited from Bio::SeqFeature::SimilarityPair

These methods come from Bio::SeqFeature::SimilarityPair

=head2 query
=head2 hit

This will help the poor soul who has to ensure the docs remain in sync
(has this been an issue for you or anyone else yet?).

Steve