[Bioperl-l] bl2seq error when no alignment

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:45:54 EDT 2003

I have to preface this with - I do not want to maintain BPbl2seq or BPlite
- all the functionality is part of SearchIO now.

When this module was ported someone didn't try and make it handle the
empty reports problem for some reason.

I can put a fix in which won't cause this to happen, but you can get
around it by doing this with the current code:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Bio::Tools::BPbl2seq;

my $in = new Bio::Tools::BPbl2seq(-report_type => 'BLASTN');

my $sbjct = $in->getSbjct;

if( $sbjct ) {
 while( my $feature = $sbjct->nextHSP ) {
   # process the feature like you would before
 }
} else {
    print STDERR "no sbjct\n";
}