[Bioperl-l] How can I edit a sequence?

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 11:08:52 EDT 2003

Yee Man,

There is nothing that would do inplace edit of the basic sequence
object for you. There are Bio::LiveSeq sequence classes but they are
definitely an overkill for this.

I suggest that you put the sequence into a string variable, do the
modifications and put it back into the sequence object.

More object oriented alternatives:

1. Add a method mutate() into Bio::SeqUtils using substr arguments.
2. Use Bio::LiveSeq::Mutation to describe your changes

# $seq->isa('Bio::PrimarySeq');
# $mutation->isa('Bio::LiveSeq::Mutation');
Bio::SeqUtils->mutate($seq, $mutation);

If you do not feel like writing it, I think I will at some point.
Let me know.

-Heikki