[Bioperl-l] Installation on Win32

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Wed Jul 9 12:23:33 EDT 2003

Pauline,

You have a number of questions, I can answer the ones having to do with
Cygwin. If you're going the Cygwin route, and have no need for ActiveState
Perl for any other reason, then you can uninstall AS. Unfortunately I don't
know how to do this if you don't see it in Add/Remove. Then install the Perl
that comes with Cygwin, Cygwin will not install Perl by default. If you
really can't uninstall AS, and are afraid to just delete the directory, just
make sure that Cygwin's Perl comes first in your Cygwin PATH variable. Me,
I'd just delete the directory if that's the last resort.

You will also want to check so see that Cygwin has installed its own make,
you won't be using dmake or nmake within Cygwin, just plain GNU make. This
will solve that MAXLINELENGTH problem, I think. I've come to believe that
it's simplest to just use everything from Cygwin, as opposed to installing
things "separately" (example: Cygwin's apache, not the Windows binary from
apache.org, Cygwin's make, not nmake).

My apologies for the Cygwin digression but the combination of Windows and
Bioperl has been unsatisfying to a number of users, and Cygwin is the
solution, in my opinion.

Brian O.