[Bioperl-l] BioPerl CPAN & roadmap

Nathan (Nat) Goodman natg at shore.net
Wed Jul 9 09:23:10 EDT 2003

Hi Folks

I didn't get any responses to my most recent CPAN message proposing that we
test drive the CPAN concept with

1) one contribution that represents code that will probably never migrate to
the main distribution
2) one contribution that represents code from the main distribution that
needn’t be there
3) one contribution that represents code that might migrate to the main
distribution someday, but isn’t ready for prime time yet.

I'm happy to do the work, but don't want to do something this global if you
don't think it's the right direction.  Esp since I'll be imposing on the
CPAN folks to accomodate us.

On Steve's recent posting: a roadmap is a great idea!  Better than the
technical evaluation I suggested.  But the roadmap shoud include an
evalutaion of the current state of affairs - the good, the bad, and the
ugly -- to make sure you're headed in the direction you really want, and not
just the one that's most convenient.

I agree totally with Steve's remarks about the need to modify the "whoever
codes it wins" motto. Now that BioPerl is mainstream, it's critical that
anyone be able to contribute code, while at the same time, core developers
retain architectural control.  The advice from Mozialla seems right on.

Best,
Nat