[Bioperl-l] Sequence Features... (hello from Singapore...)

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 08:13:54 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Paul Edlefsen wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
>
> >  - AnnotationCollection also will have a contains "contains" method,
> >which gives sub Annotations. Therefore a Gene will have Transcripts etc
> >via this method. By placing this method here, and *not* at the feature
> >level (sub_SeqFeatures) we get rid of the ambiguity of "should a
> >sub_SeqFeature be strictly covered by its parent". We officially allow the
> >containment heirarchy to have *nothing* to do with the location system.
> >

> Where will the SeqFeatureCollectionI stuff go, then?  Will an
> AnnotationCollectionI *be* a SeqFeatureCollectionI, or *have* one?

This is the problem about the word AnnotationCollection - it is not a
collection of Sequence Features - the word AnnotationSet is better (or
AnnotationBlob).

In short, SeqFeatureCollectionI will be part of SeqI to handle the set of
AnnotationSetI (currently known as AnnotationCollection)

This does get a little tricky. When are you in on the west coast? What
about a quick phone call? I want to make sure we harness your energy in
solving the "fetching sub set of features by range/type
constraints" inside the new system...