[Bioperl-l] project ideas

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Feb 12 09:25:14 EST 2003

Brian,

this really is a non-trivial task, because essentially what we did is
molding an LL entry into a Bio::Seq, which to be quite honest leaves
the result with more than just a cone head. The fundamental problem is
that Bio::SeqI really is about one sequence, whereas an LL entry is
more like a gene model, with different products each representing a
splice variant etc.

It doesn't fit a SeqFeature::Gene::GeneI either though, since it's not
a feature with sub-features. Nor do you really want to mold it into a
ClusterI I think.

So, to really solve this properly IMHO you'd have to create a class
that better reflects the data model behind these gene-centric entries.
Maybe something along the lines of a Bio::GeneI or Bio::GeneModelI,
which AFAIR surfaced repeatedly over the past years ... (but no-one
ever got serious about it).

Could actually be something to chat about in Singapore.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org