[Bioperl-l] limit on accessing NCBI/GenBank

Prachi Shah prachi_shroff at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 07:39:01 EST 2003

Hi all!

I have this question related to BioPerl but not about
its implementation, bugs or problems. I know NCBI has
a limit of one request every 3 seconds to their
server, that includes all of Entrez and all databases.
I had once tried to use LWP useragents directly to
access some data from the NCBI website, and thats when
I realised that they are very strict about not letting
scripts overload their servers. Even if you follow
their 3 second rule and you run it at non-peak hours,
but if your script makes too many requests it is not
acceptable.

Does that apply to access made through BioPerl? For
example, Bio::DB::GenBank, Bio::DB::Query::GenBank,
etc. make queries to NCBI servers straight.

thanks,
Prachi.