[BioPerl] [Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GenBank (fwd)

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Dec 11 12:16:47 EST 2003

The SeqHound developers apparently have a rudimentary set of BioPerl
modules written, but they aren't "production quality" yet from what I
have heard (I haven't tried them - I just use their procedural API with
great satisfaction!).

I'm sure they will put these modules into the BioPerl CVS as soon as
they are up to snuff.  They're a good bunch :-)

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 10:22, Jason Stajich wrote:
> Hey great - been waiting for someone to write a SeqHound interface for a
> while.  Great that you took it on!
>
> -jason
>
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that code stopped working "reliably" yesterday.  Only about 1 in 4
> > calls were getting through yesterday afternoon, and the ones that did
> > make it were taking forever.  It appears to be a problem at GB's end,
> > not with the bioperl code.  All my MOBY GB services died inauspiciously
> > :-)
> >
> > As a result, I am giving up on GB as a data host, and will now serve GB
> > data through SeqHound - a Canadian warehouse of GB/SP/... data that
> > updates nightly.  I'm tired of dealing with GB's flakeyness.  Maybe I'm
> > unlucky, but the last few times I have tried to do stuff with GB it has
> > failed (not bioperl's fault!), so I just can't be bothered with them
> > anymore.  I've actually just finished (about to commit!) the re-coding
> > of all GB-related MOBY services to work off of SeqHound - they run MUCH
> > faster now :-)
> >
> > Cheers all!
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 08:43, Jason Stajich wrote:
> >
> > > 	The Bio::DB::GenBank doesn't work for me now.
> >

> --
> Jason Stajich
> Duke University
> jason at cgt.mc.duke.edu