[Bioperl-l] aligning sequences with Bio::Tools::pSW

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q at virginia.edu
Fri Aug 29 07:41:29 EDT 2003

pSW.pm is an implementation of the Smith-Waterman algorithm, a *local*
pairwise alignment algorithm, which means that the best alignment found
need not start and finish at the beginning and ending of either sequence.
You seem to want a *global* alignment algorithm, such as Needleman-Wunsch
(with "free" end-gap penalties for globally aligning the larger sequence:
this is how to achieve hybrid local/global pairwise alignments); ClustalW
should be able to give you what you need.

-Aaron