[Bioperl-l] Re: Bio::FPC

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Tue Aug 26 12:39:56 EDT 2003

Jamie,

And a "marker" can be a genetic marker, yes? A la Bio::Map::Marker? If you
take a look at this module you'll see that its definition of marker allows
any marker to have different positions in different maps (contig "map",
genetic map, physical map). This seems to overlap with your notion of
marker.

Here's my first impression. There's a parser, MapIO::mapmaker for mapmaker,
mapmaker makes maps from segregation data, genetic data. Your fpc makes
physical maps, yet physical and genetic maps can be merged to create
"integrated maps". Your fpcmarker must be closely related to
Bio::Map::Marker, in fact it's not clear that there should be an fpcmarker.
I would think that a Marker object could be a reasonably rich one, and it
could be created by fpc or any other program, it really shouldn't matter
much how it's created (in fact, all this new PopGen code must be ordering
markers to make maps, I'd think). Perhaps you should be using some of the
existing code in Bio/Map? Your thoughts?

Brian O.