[Bioperl-l] BioPerl Installation

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Thu Aug 7 09:12:25 EDT 2003

Lobvi,

You're trying a "unix-style" installation on Windows. This can be done but
the specific error arises because you probably don't have the make program
installed on your machine. If you look at the INSTALL.WIN file in the
bioperl package you'll see it describes an installation using ActiveState
and its PPM application. Alternatively, you can install Cygwin, also free,
on your computer and do the installation unix-style since Cygwin is a Unix
emulator. I've taken this approach because I'm comfortable with Unix and
have no patience with MS-DOS/Command Prompt.

If you want to continue along the same course I believe you have to install
nmake for Windows, then use nmake instead of make - I will be corrected if
I'm wrong, I've avoided this approach. Otherwise you'll need to decide
between ActiveState/PPM or Cygwin. Or double-boot, and so on. If you choose
Cygwin then de-install ActiveState, Cygwin supplies its own perl.

Brian O.