[Bioperl-l] Extracting GenBank Information

Michael Hughes m2mwh at csc.liv.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 06:43:49 EDT 2003

 Hello

 I am writing a code to extract mouse inbred strain information from
GenBank.

 Using get_Seq_by_acc, I am able to bring up the GenBank file on screen but
I can't find a way to search through this file and extract the relevant
information.
  I have tried saving it locally to search the output file but I can only
output the fasta format which has no strain information (I have tried using
$gb = new Bio::DB::GenBank (-format => 'genbank'); but I still receive
fasta).

  So, my questions are:

        - is there a way to search the file generated on line?
        - if not, how do I output a full GenBank file to a local folder?

 Thanks in advance for any help

 Michael Hughes