[Bioperl-l] cvs modules?

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 15:13:51 EST 2003

Jason,

Thanks a lot for do it!

First I could not see the new cvs modules but I did figure out what was
going on. There is one crucial difference between normal and virtual cvs
modules I had not understood before. I'll outline what I learnt here for
others benefit. Correct me if there is an easier way of doing it.

- When you check out a normal cvs module it creates a directory under
  your working directory.

  ~/src> cvs -d:yadda:/home/repository/bioperl co bioperl-live

  will create directory ~/src/bioperl-live and to update it you cd into
  it to run 'cvs update'.

- Virtual cvs module will create the sub directory with sub directories
  for each included cvs module.

  ~/src> cvs -d:yadda:/home/repository/bioperl co bioperl_all

  adds --> ~/src/bioperl/core, ~/src/bioperl/db, ...

  You can update the files in all of them with one cvs update command
  in the top directory '~/src/bioperl', but if the module content of
  the virtual directory changes, you have to explicitly check the new
  ones out, by rerunning:

  ~/src> cvs -d:yadda:/home/repository/bioperl co bioperl_all

  adds --> e.g. ~/src/bioperl/pipeline, ...

 	-Heikki

     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho          heikki at ebi.ac.uk