[Bioperl-l] Re: Frameshifts in alignments ... ?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:27:15 -0700

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 10:00  AM, Aaron J Mackey wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't we want the Transcript and Exon classes to utilize this too
>> for the cds() method, or is something in this mechanism that makes
>> it specific to alignments?
>
> I would think that Transcript and Exon classes would be built using
> these
> things ... do you see anythign wrong with that?

Absolutely not. That's why I suggested this. If you look at my
implementations of the cds() methods there's a lot of hard-coded
guesswork if exons don't plug into each other as nicely as they
should. Using such an encoding would not do away with that
guesswork, but offers the client (or constructing class) a chance to
change or preset the result of that, which I think is going to be
very useful.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org