[Bioperl-l] Bug fixes; SeqIO issues

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:58:22 -0700

On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 01:48  AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

> Many thanks to the bug fixes by Steve/Jason and others
>

> I have commited some more bug fixes from the bug tracking list.
> Slow and
> steady is my aim here.
>

> SeqIO has probably currently a nasty hidden bug due to fuzzy loading. I
> think this is due to heikki's move to atomic locations which he
> wanted to
> handle indels more cleanly. However, something is broken down there -
> silently!

> I have an exception being thrown but have switched this off until I can
> chat with Heikki about the route out of here.

The problem here is no problem. You tried to check arguments for
$start and $end for being numeric in a constructor. This is a bad
idea because it breaks extension by inheritance -- derived classed
may (and in this case in fact do) allow values the base class didn't
dream of. What happens is that start() and end() in the fuzzy class
parse the values.

If you really want to enforce in the base class that start() and
end() return numeric values, then set first and check the return
values (they will indeed be numeric). However, if someone sets not
through constructor but calling the setters you can't control this
anymore.

Am I missing something? Anyway, I removed the check ...

> Yes - cue discussion of how messed up our-location-or-seqfeature
> heirarchy
> is and I don't know the right route out of here. Hmph.

I'm not that unhappy with it I have to admit ... although I'm sure
there's lots of room for improvement. What's bothering you?

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org