[Bioperl-l] Behavior of Bio::Species object

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:33:30 -0700

<snip/>
> As it happens, on the species object I believe there is the method
> "binomial_name" which gives the genus species from the
> classification, not
> parsing the common name slot

$species->binomial
# or, with possibly subspecies included:
$species->binomial('FULL')

> I think Hilmar suggested a new slot coming into Bio::Species to handle
> more of this.

This is $species->variant to store strain, isolate, cultivar, and similar information, which is found in e.g. Swissprot and does change the NCBI TaxonID. (OT, the UK in biosql is now (binomial,variant).)

	-hilmar