[Bioperl-l] IO::String

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:03:42 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Jason Stajich wrote:

> Ewan - we talked before about providing an IO::String in the distro as it
> is necessary for one to run the basic remote DB lookups (what lots of
> people want to do out of the box).  Are there any major negatives to just
> including it in the distro - I believe it is pure perl.  Either wrapped
> inside a new Root class which will use the installed version over its own
> copy+paste implementation as we have done with File::Spec.  Alternatively
> we can just provide a extras directory and place the latest IO-String in
> there.

I don't see any major negatives. Probably I think it would be better to
put it in Bio::Root::String::IO or soemthing so there is no namespace
clash, but if people think differently, I'm happy to hear other routes.

Bioperl working-out-of-the-box for common functionality on common perl
versions is a very good target.