[Bioperl-l] bioperl-run; size/complexity of bioperl for 1.2

nkuipers nkuipers@uvic.ca
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:41:15 -0800

I like your (c) option.  There are three reasons for this.

1)Newbie-friendly...learning curves are supposed to be just that, curves, not
vertical lines to the average joe, and we all want bioperl to be popular and
used after all.
2)Disenchanted-boss-friendly.  To elaborate, my use of bioperl is entirely
self-initiated and originally somewhat against my supervisor's wishes.  His
past experience with bioperl was fraught with bugs and so forth (and this is
NOT a Perl numnuts here, he's QUITE the wizard).  My use of bioperl is limited
to core functionalities, some incarnation of which has been with bioperl for
quite some time, like processing formats with SeqIO and parsing BLAST reports
with BPlite and SearchIO, partly because the rest I can roll myself and partly
because my supervisor is satisfied with me staying away from the "bleeding
edge of development".  Having a "starter-pack" stuffed with easy-interfacing,
robust and simple functionalities is therefore a good thing for wary bosses.
3)you get to learn some deep CVS magic ;p

Best regards,

Nathanael Kuipers
---
Center for Biomedical Research,