[Bioperl-l] Changes to Bio::SeqI broke Bio::Graphics

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:47:08 -0500

On Friday 08 November 2002 03:59 am, Ewan Birney wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Lincoln Stein wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The recent removal of RangeI from Bio::SeqI caused all my
> > Bio::Graphics HOWTO examples to fail (about eight of them).  It also
> > broke some other scripts that I use routinely.  I was relying on the
> > object returned by Bio::SeqIO to implement start and end methods.
>
> Why? So that they looked like sequence features? I still think it is wrong
> to have Bio::SeqI inherieting from Bio::RangeI.

When rendering the features of a sequence, it looks nice to have a single
feature that goes all the way across the whole sequence labeled with the
display_id of the sequence.  When Bio::SeqI had start() and end() features,
this was sufficient to pass the sequence object to the drawing code and get
the desired effect.

Lincoln