[Bioperl-l] Re: Phylip question

shawnh@fugu-sg.org shawnh@fugu-sg.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:39:28 +0800 (SGT)

I wrote a couple of wrappers only for a couple of Phylip programs.
They can be found in the bioperl-run package under

Bio::Tools::Phylo::Phylip::*

with only ProtPars, Neighbor, and ProtDist written.
It only supports 3.5 and not the 3.6 alpha version although I haven't
tested it. But I suspect some of the interactive menus might have changed
so it will need tweaking to work with 3.6.

In anycase, ProtDist takes in a Bio::SimpleAlign object from which you can
generate using Bio::Tools::Run::Clustalw passing in an array of sequences.
This creates a distance matrix. With this you can create a parsimony tree
using the ProtPars wrapper which returns you a Bio::Tree object.
Alternatively  you can use Neighbor passing in the matrix as well which also
returns a Bio::Tree.

The wrappers makes use of the following set of modules for parsing:

Bio::AlignIO which allows you to work with phylip formats,
transforming Bio::SimpleAlign objects to and from PHYLIP interleaved format.

Bio::TreeIO which allows you to parse newick formats among others.

hope that helps.

cheers,

shawn

--