[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] Notification: incoming/1183

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 08 May 2002 09:59:29 +0100

Sanjeev,

Our apologies. Sigcleave module has not been maintained for a long time.

Bioperlers,

It really needs to be updated to current BioPerl standards. Chris Dagdigian
is the primary author, but anyone else wants to have a go, I am sure Chris
does not mind. Any volunteers?

Sanjeev,

You were misled by the synopsis which shows a 'file' attribute to the new().
However, 'file' is not implemented and you have to pass the sequence as a
string. See the test file t/Sigcleave.t . (It really should take a bioperl
sequence object and throw an error if anything else than protein sequence is
given to it.) Also, pretty-print() method does not work. (The output could
be an array of Bio::LocatableSeq objects.)

Here is your script modified so that you get results printed out:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

use Bio::Tools::Sigcleave;

$pseq = "
MLELLPTAVEGVSQAQITGRPEWIWLALGTALMGLGTLYFLVKGMGVSDPDAKKFYA
ITTLVPAIAFTMYLSMLLGYGLTMVPFGGEQNPIYWARYADWLFTTPLLLLDLALLVD
ADQGTILALVGADGIMIGTGLVGALTKVYSYRFVWWAISTAAMLYILYVLFFGFTSKA
ESMRPEVASTFKVLRNVTVVLWSAYPVVWLIGSEGAGIVPLNIETLLFMVLDVSAKVG
FGLILLRSRAIFGEAEAPEPSAGDGAAATSD";
$pseq =~ s/\W//g;

$sigcleave_object = new Bio::Tools::Sigcleave
  (-seq=>$pseq,
   -threshold=>'3.5',
   -desc=>'test sigcleave protein seq',
   -type=>'AMINO');

%raw_results = $sigcleave_object->signals;

use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper(\%raw_results);

Again, the alternative is to use the EMBOSS program sigcleave
and access it from Bio::Factory::EMBOSS.
See:
http://www.uk.embnet.org/Software/EMBOSS/Apps/sigcleave.html

Yours,
	-Heikki