O/R mapping [was Re: [Bioperl-l] pipeline]

Aaron J Mackey Aaron J. Mackey" <amackey@virginia.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:29:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Chris Mungall wrote:

> >   (a) There is no standard. People always want to write their own system
> > to have control over some aspects of it
>
> yup; you'd think that if this approach was sound there would be some
> decent tool to do this by now, rather than thousands of incompatible
> pieces of crap.

What say you about Tangram in this regard?

> Also: (e) for queries more complex than can be dealt with by canned
> templates, you end up either bypassing the O/R layer, or writing a complex
> non-standard object query language, or forcing the api user to slurp
> everything into memory and do the query with imperative code.

Again, how do you compare Tangram to this statement?  I've found Tangram
to be very useful, but perhaps I haven't run into the barriers you have ...

Just curious, thanks for any feedback.

-Aaron