O/R mapping [was Re: [Bioperl-l] pipeline]

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:14:50 +0800 (SGT)

I refrained from replying too early, but I guess I wasn't clear, I never
imagined to get auto-generated code that actually does what I want it to
do, I just meant that it's really nice (as David was saying) just to cut
the silly/boring initial development time, e.g. all get/sets,etc.

> Riffing off of what Imre has been doing, I do thing that automatic mapping
> (relational, xml etc) *does* make a lot of sense when you use an ontology
> langauge to model your data.

Chris and ontology, love at first sight... :)

Any nice book/pages to read about ontology languages,etc? I'd like to
understand more about them...

> One thing that's different now is that now with postgres and soon with
> mysql4.1 we have decent ways of doing proper relational stuff without
> paying corporate bucks.

So thus mysql 4.1 support views and other funky stuff?

> Another cool thing to explore is a predicate-logic interpretation of the
> relational data, eg datalog, but that's another tangent.

Ah uh, in english?

Sorry for being so honestly ignorant with my three questions above ;)

Elia

--
* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *