[Bioperl-l] ortholog identification for many species

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 16:01:48 -0400 (EDT)

We don't solve this directly just yet but would ideally do this through a
definition of steps in the bioperl-pipeline as probably described by Elia.

For a sequence similarity approach to finding orthologues I would suggest
tools such as NCBI's COG and Sonnheimer group's InParanoid as examples of
automated orthologue detection.  InParanoid is still pairwise based but
one could imagine strategies starting from the set of pairwise findings.
http://www.cgr.ki.se/cgr/inparanoid/.  COG is more appropriate for
multiple species but I've never tried to get and run the software locally.

As for synteny based orthologue detection I don't believe there is a
formal framework in bioperl just yet but tools such as the Map objects
have been built so that implemeting the appropriate algorithm is easier.
This is definitely an area of active interest for a number of developers
but I don't think we've converged on an implementation that we all are
working on just yet.

-jason