[Bioperl-l] Bioperl general question

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 09:30:09 +0100

Kim,

Any standards compliant database is usable. Under unix most projects use
MySQL or PostreSQL if they want to distribute their databases freely. If the
institutes have the money and inclination to have proper central management
of databases, they usually use ORACLE or Sybase.

The main thing for perl is that there is a module for the database that
plugs it into DBI (Perl DataBase Interface) module. Most commonly used
databases do. Check man pages for DBI and DBI::FAQ.

MySQL has the fastest database to retrieve data, which is important in large
projects, although someone recently claimed that the recent versions of
PostreSQL are as fast.

This all is from UNIX/Linux point of view. I do not konw too much about
Windows excapt ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) is more important there.
Again check man DBI::FAQ

	-Heikki