[Bioperl-l] p-value, e-value

Jonathan Epstein Jonathan_Epstein@nih.gov
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:31:56 -0500

I think this is mostly correct, Ewan.  If memory serves, the p-values no longer became statistically meaningful when gapped alignments were introduced in BLAST 2.  It's possible that the P-values might be meaningful if you specify that an ungapped alignment should be performed.

-Jonathan

At 01:41 AM 1/8/2002 , Ewan Birney wrote:
>I think the only thing which actually produces just P-values is BLAST 1
>series (am I wrong?) and I think we should just document that we put the
>Pvalue in the Evalue slot as it is also 10 year old software now and
>people should have moved on from the BLAST 1 series by now.

Jonathan Epstein                                Jonathan_Epstein@nih.gov
Head, Unit on Biologic Computation              (301)402-4563
Office of the Scientific Director               Bldg 31, Room 2A47
Nat. Inst. of Child Health & Human Development  31 Center Drive
National Institutes of Health                   Bethesda, MD 20892