[Bioperl-l] p-value, e-value

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:12:03 -0800

Jason Stajich wrote:

> I'm implementing the Bio::Search::HSP::GenericHSP and
> Bio::Search::Hit::GenericHit objects, wanted to clarify our use of e-value
> and p-value.  I think we have been interchanging them and considering p
> and alias of evalue.

Not really, and it shouldn't be. It's only that BLAST at some
point stopped reporting the p-value, and reported the e-value
instead.

The question is rather what significance() should be. I named it
to have somewhat an abstraction from what in a particular hit
and/or alignment tells you the significance. It could even be a
score sitting behind it. I.e., significance() is (was meant to be)
the general-purpose figure of significance, which an individual
implementation (inheriting class) can map to whatever is
appropriate.

	-hilmar