[Bioperl-l] Sigcleave module problem

Sanjeev Pillai spillai2@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:29:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chris,
Thanks for responding.

The amino acid sequence that I'm using is a simple raw
sequence file by name seq.aa which is as follows:

MLELLPTAVEGVSQAQITGRPEWIWLALGTALMGLGTLYFLVKGMGVSDPDAKKFYAITTLVPAIAFTMYLSMLLGYGLTMVPFGGEQNPIYWARYADWLFTTPLLLLDLALLVDADQGTILALVGADGIMIGTGLVGALTKVYSYRFVWWAISTAAMLYILYVLFFGFTSKAESMRPEVASTFKVLRNVTVVLWSAYPVVWLIGSEGAGIVPLNIETLLFMVLDVSAKVGFGLILLRSRAIFGEAEAPEPSAGDGAAATSD

The perl script that I wrote is also very simple,
(straight from the docs site) as I was wanting to test
it first.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

use Bio::Tools::Sigcleave;

$sigcleave_object =
Bio::Tools::Sigcleave->new('-file'=>'seq.aa',

                      			       '-threshold'=>'3.5',
                      			       '-desc'=>'test
sigcleave protein seq',
                      			       '-type'=>'AMINO');

%raw_results      = $sigcleave_object->signals;
$formatted_output = $sigcleave_object->pretty_print;

Thanks again for your time and attention.
Regards
Sanjeev

--- chris dagdigian <dag@sonsorol.org> wrote:

> Sanjeev-
>
> That module is very old and does not conform to any
> of the new bioperl
> standards. It will likely be removed from bioperl in
> the future unless
> someone steps up and "modernizes" it. I'm willing to
> take a look at your
> problem but it would help me greatly if you could
> provide me with the
> sequence you were using that generated the error.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>

> Sanjeev Pillai wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm encountering a problem when I use the
> Sigcleave
> > module in one of my perl scripts (This module
> helps
> > predict signal peptide cleavage regions).  When I
> run
> > my script that uses Sigcleave and pass on an amino
> > acid sequence file (raw amino acid sequence data
> with
> > no headers), it gives me the following error
> messages:
> >
> > Use of uninitialized value in transliteration
> (tr///)
> > at

/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Bio/Tools/Sigcleave.pm