[Bioperl-l] Question - Primary_id

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:55:00 -0800

On Tuesday, December 24, 2002, at 03:54  AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

>> method itself. I think there should be a place to store a
>> datastore-specific ID which may be different from an accession number.
>> GenBank's GI number is a perfect example (and the genbank parser
>> presently uses primary_id to store the GI number).
>
> Well, should we call it:
>
>   "implementation_specific_id" or something

Not a monster name please :) what about internal_id()? If that's too
short for you ;) - datastore_internal_id()?

> BTW - if genbank parser uses it for GI number, i am tempted to put some
> super smarts into a method called gi_number on richseq which will
> issue a
> warning if it didn't come from genbank or something like that.
> Hmmmm....

Good idea if GenBank were the only one issuing and publishing their
internal ID. I don't think they are, and why have gi_number(),
swp_number(), pir_number and what not all in different methods.

Merry Xmas to everyone,

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org