[Bioperl-l] Potential Bug assignments:

Peter Schattner schattner@alum.mit.edu
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:42:48 -0800

Ewan Birney wrote:

> I have made a rough and ready assignment of bugs

> Peter: 1012, 1182, 1315

I’ve looked at the three bug reports.  Thay are all of the form that
bptutorial crashes or acts strangely on some configuration quite different
from mine (eg on Windows).  I don’t think it is useful to try to track down
these specific old bugs; I  think they have been fixed in CVS.  (In addition
there is not enough information in the bug reports for me to try to reproduce
them).

What I have done to try to eliminate or at least minimize this sort of thing
in the future is:

1. Put in "evals" everywhere I can think of, so that folks with unusual
and/or minimal configurations will simply get messages saying something like
" Module XXX not found,  skipping test" and proceed with the other demos.
2. Added extra verbiage in instructions on how to run the tutorial script to
tell people explicitly that if they get these kind of messages to simply
ignore them (or install the extra modules) and enjoy the rest of the demos
which can be run individually.
3. Placed the demos most likely to generate such messages at the end of the
combined demo so if they run the tutorial in the simple consecutive manner
they will see lots of things work properly before they get the warning
messages.

I think this should remove _most_ (but not all) of these problems in the
future.  I think the correct way of completely eliminating this sort of thing
would be to somehow include running bptutorial.pl as part of "make test" or
some similar approach.  I don’t know how feasible it is to do this, but
otherwise I suspect this sort of problem will continue.

Peter