[Bioperl-l] Blast stuff

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 00:49:06 -0800

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 12:39 AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

> What about making a new repository - bioperl-retired which you can
> check
> out?

You aren't kidding right? As long as it makes legacy code run -
asking to check out and install another module shouldn't be too
much. This is also something for the future as more thing may be
retired over time.

> Basically for people who have this legacy problem and therefore are not
> moving forward, isn't the right advice "don't upgrade your Bioperl?".

Well, there may easily be legacy code *and* people who do want to
move forward in the same place. Only no-one wants to touch that
legacy code, yet it needs to run because no-one wants to re-write it
either. I don't think this situation is that rare in industry (it
may be rare in academia).

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org