[Bioperl-l] Blast stuff

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:37:11 +0000 (GMT)

bioperl-run:

Ok, having looked at some of the other options, I reckon the simplest is
the one lincoln suggested and backed up by Hilmar -
Bio::Tools::RemoteBlast gets transfered back to core. Any one vote
otherwise?

  Elia/Catherine - what are your plans for bioperl-run - can one of you
take charge of regression testing against the slowly solidyfying core and
make a branch and tar file when the time comes.

  [Hilmar - ditto for bioperl-db - are you ok to do this?]

Bio::Tools::Blast.pm

  I want to kill this - it has lots of confusing documentation; it is big;
I think Bio::SearchIO is the way forward and is stable enough to take it
on; I will bug fix Bio::SearchIO on spec for the 1.2 series (phew!). So...
can we remove it and put in a warning in a BEGIN block saying - it has
died, please try out Bio::SearchIO.

  SteveC and Jason - what are your votes here.

...1.2 marches on...

(BTW - tests pass and I have latest ExtUtils to try to find the Makefile
fix...)

ewan