[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::fasta.pm

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:49:47 -0500

Hi,

Is it valid to have a fasta file with no header info (other than the >, with no spaces after).  I.e. something like

ACACACACA

Would lead to blank primary_id, not sure what effect that would have down the line.

I ask because fasta.pm throws the "Can't parse fasta header" error when there *is* a space after the >, but goes merrily on if there is a \n.  And then dies later.  Just wasn't sure what the expected agreed upon behavior is.

I ran into this because I was testing a few sequence blasts, and don't need a header really.  I figure it's not much use to have a fasta file with a bunch of "empty" header lines, but fasta only has a comment

# FIX incase no space between > and name \AE

So I wasn't sure what the intent is.

-Mat