[Bioperl-l] Re: BLAST parsers

Brian Osborne brian_osborne@cognia.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:25:56 -0400

Neil,

>>And despite
>>upgrading to the latest bioperl pretty much as it's released, I'm barely
>>aware of Bio::SearchIO, which I guess is the old documentation problem.

Please don't take this as a flame, it's not. SearchIO is specifically
mentioned in the bptutorial and the FAQ as the preferred approach. A large
part of the "documentation problem" is people not reading the docs. I'm much
the same way, I don't blame them. But if you've spent much time in this
newsgroup you've probably noted that some people commonly ask questions that
would be answered by reading the FAQ or bptutorial. Again, I've never
responded with a "RTFM" in my life, I'm a bit more polite, but some users
want to be spoon-fed when they'd get a lot more from the package after
browsing the basic documents for 30 minutes or so.

Now, what I'm about to do is to put a note about the FAQ into the README,
but it may not make a lot of difference to these lazy few.

Brian O.