[Bioperl-l] question about the nature of bioperl

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:57:11 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, nkuipers wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  I am relatively new to open source development and had
> not considered that bit about "no one praises you".  I started looking into
> bioperl a little while ago, and asked my supervisor why we don't use it.  His
> answer was that using anything from bioperl seems to require lots of other
> things used just so; in other words, it's too intertwined with itself.  And
> indeed, between CPAN modules for parsing etc. and our own code, we do well
> enough, seemingly more simply.  Your points were all well made however, I
> appreciate the insight.  I personally am interested in further exploring
> bioperl.

Actually the main parts of Bioperl doesn't need a great deal to work,
though we have a pretty hard dependancy on IO::String. The bioperl
makefile tries really hard to say

 "You wont be able to use Bio::Bizarre::WeirdThing but -- don't worry
about it, we don't!"

but I guess people get scared. Bioperl does need to come in a big firm
pink book with the words

  "DONT PANIC"

on the front.

Have you tried bioperl?