[Bioperl-l] question about the nature of bioperl

Allen Day allenday@ucla.edu
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:34:23 -0700 (PDT)

> > >a general repository for an ad hoc collection of unsupported scripts and
> > >modules that don't fit into the central framework?
> >
> > I love this idea, though I would be in favor of reviews for redundancy (10
> > scripts doing exactly the same thing from different people would not be
> > beneficial, although maybe 2-3 scripts doing the same thing in procedural and
> > OO ways would be useful) and basic quality of the Perl itself.
>
> if you're volunteering for the reviewing... see, a big part of this is
> maintenance - it's easy to get a prototype up and running, but making sure
> it's working in a year is a different story. i still think this is a good
> idea. in fact all it would take would be a wiki page where anyone can
> enter urls pointing to their own scripts/modules - would anyone add
> anything? it's worth a shot.

I should probably stay out of this conversation before I accidentally
commit myself to being a maintainer :).  That said, it could make the job
easier if you put some small quality-control barriers to submitting a
script to the archive.  For instance, require an input file(s) and a test
harness, as well as POD in the script.

-Allen