[Bioperl-l] bioperl jitterbug tracking has been broken (now fixed)

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:02:49 -0400

Jitterbug for bioperl.org has been silently broken for some time now. I
have no clue as to what went wrong but the core problem seemed to be
that all of a sudden we had a UID conflict between ewan birney's account
and the 'bioperl-bugs' account. Both accounts in /etc/passwd reported
the same UID value.

The Jitterbug CGI scripts are working fine and so is the binary that
takes incoming web bug reports and sends them along to
procmail->sendmail. What I think was happening was this:

(1) The UID clobbering prevented the bug report from being written as
simple textfiles on disk  which means that new bugs did not show up in
the web interface that generates itself on the fly based on the contents
of a standard unix directory

(2) Permission problems in the mail spool for bioperl-guts prevented the
new bugs from being sent out to the bioperl-guts-l list

The problem is seemingly fixed as I can now create new bug reports and
see the resulting alert get sent to the
guts list:
 http://bio.perl.org/bioperl-bugs/incoming?id=1222;page=5;user=guest

This doesn't seem to be one of those "slip of the fingers while logged
in as root" problems :) -- I really have no idea how we ended up with
conflicting UID values. ack.

-Chris