[Bioperl-l] question about the nature of bioperl

nkuipers nkuipers@uvic.ca
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:37:54 -0700

I mean no offense to anyone, especially being new to this mailing list, but I
am starting to wonder just what people expect from this project.  Is this
supposed to be a do-it-all bioinformatics kit or a set of basic tools that
people are free to use, fleshing it out with their own code as per their
specific application?  It just seems to me that, if not already, the project
is on its way to being what is referred to as a "bloated monster" in computer
science classes.  Everyone has their "bug" catches, specific formats, and
there are multiple versions flying around with varying degrees of
documentation and testedness.  Whoa horse.  Stop.  Trying to account for every
single format or user-defined case is in my opinion folly and impossible,
especially given the nature of bioinformatics.  Define a broad but simple
suite that is flexible to specifics and leave the rest to the users.  That's
what Perl was made for by definition: TIMTOWTDI.  This was (is?) probably the
idea with bioperl also, but in browsing the hierarchy diagrams and reading the
emails, it sounds like a big confused mess that several(?) people are trying
so hard to keep in order but the task is too big.  Simplify simplify.  I think
there comes a point where too many "bugs" (real or not) means more than
debugging.  Easier said than done I know.  Heh.  Pay me no mind.

Best regards,

Nathanael Kuipers