[Bioperl-l] release numbers

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:23:46 -0400 (EDT)

This was sort of a - no one else is making a decision - so make a decision
and see who screams....

I'd really prefer it if the go-to person on a project would be in charge
of pkging up their releases as I will, in the not-too-distant,
future not be able to spend so much time tweaking version numbers and tags
for a release.  The more people who know how to do it, the better.

In fact, I can't oversee the 1.2 release in as much detail as the 1.0.
If you're interested in being 1.2 release master, please speak up so we
can show you the ropes sooner rather than later.

For the record, I'll tag bioperl-pipeline with 0.1 and put the pkg in its
current state in my ftp dir for people to test.

I have no idea what version to tag bioperl-db with (we did a 0.1 a while
ago) but it should probably be done with a bioperl-schema number embedded
as ensembl does.  Someone else will have to make the decisions here on
what the naming scheme and release schedule is.  Unfortunately since
bioperl-pipeline depends on it, it will hold up its release.

I also don't know whether I should copy all the files from the
biosql-schema directly into bioperl-db or if there is a special directory
structure, etc...   I assume they can be blanket copied...

We probably need to also tag the biosql-schema with a version number so
that the projects can be talking the same language.

I'd prefer bioperl-run to be numbered 1.1, if we're going to make it
arbitrary anyways, had we not split it off, it would still be part of
bioperl-live w/ version 1.1.  However, if the votes are for 0.1 then we
can name it that as well.

So I'll release bioperl-1.1 and bioperl-run-0.1 initially since they are
ready to go, and the db/pipeline can be done as soon as the db pkg is put
together.

-jason