[Bioperl-l] xml standard for sequences

Paul Gordon gordonp@cbr.nrc.ca
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:22:41 -0300 (ADT)

The short answer, is that there is no standard.  The problem is that
most people want to include their own set of tags, such as annotation, on
top of the base information about the sequence.  And everyone has a
different idea of what that extra info should be.  Check out my slightly
out of date page (I swear I'll work on it! :-))

http://maggie.cbr.nrc.ca/~gordonp/xml/

and you'll see the diversity.  It too bad bioxml.org died, it could be a
discussion and DTD (much needed!) repository for the community, instead of
trying to come up with a common syntax.  Is their anyone still at the
reigns there?  If you're looking for Perl compatibility, I think you're
best off looking into BSML or DAS.

My CAN$ 0.02

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Paul Gordon