[Bioperl-l] SearchIO and result of StandAloneBlast

Steve Chervitz sac@bioperl.org
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 01:06:38 -0800 (PST)

http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/sis/formation/bioperl/figures/searchio-class.png
> Is it correct?
> ("old" Bio::Tools::Blast and BPlite are not included)

Great job at making sense of a complex set of modules. One glitch is that you
show BlastHSP as inheriting from Bio::SeqFeature::SimilarityPair. Actually,
HSPI inherits from SimilarityPair (the ISA statement of BlastHSP doesn't need
to include SimilarityPair, which probably mislead you and can be fixed ;). I
can see BPlite and BPpsilite and the attendant SeqAnalysisParserI stuff,
contrary to what you say.

Another tip, you might want to make the diagram conform to official UML. Check
out the class diagram at http://bio.perl.org/images/bioperl.pdf (for some
reason, the image goes blank whenever I zoom in, but the birds-eye view looks
promising).

> This is of course not going to be the 1st diagram to show to students in
> order to
> use the new Blast parsers! It's just intended to show the architecture.
> BTW, what do you think about adding some information about classes in the
> documentation?
> (eventhough the ISA statement is more precise)

Yes, more information about class relationships would be great to include in
the docs. Single-level inheritance in included automatically in the docs
generated at http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-1.0/, which is a good
start.

Steve