[Bioperl-l] Blast parsing.

Chervitz, Steve Steve_Chervitz@affymetrix.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:52:20 -0700

David,

Bio::Tools::Blast does in fact have methods to get at the data you mention.
The reason why they're not obvious is that they're inherited from
Bio::Tools::SeqAnal, the superclass of Bio::Tools::Blast. So you can access
these methods from a Bio::Tools::Blast object:

 $blastObj->database
 $blastObj->database_release
 $blastObj->database_letters
 $blastObj->database_seqs

Note that to get this data, you'll need to include a -STATS => 1 parameter
when you call the Bio::Tools::Blast::parse() function. By default, database
stats (among other things at the bottom of a Blast report) are not parsed
for efficiency reasons.

To get the name, length, and description of the query sequence:

 $blastObj->query
 $blastObj->length
 $blastObj->query_desc

This issue highlights a limitation with the Perl documentation tools which
don't automatically include superclass information. There's a note in the
Bio::Tools::Blast pod docs to see the superclass for additional
functionality, but this isn't optimal. (It's my hope that a future perldoc
release will have the ability to automatically link in superclass docs.)

Steve