[Bioperl-l] FASTAParser

Spring Laugh tumorimmunology@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:49:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I just upload a FASTA parser into bioperl-live
repository. I wrote it several months ago when there
is no FASTA parser in BioPerl. Several months later,
there is still no one in BioPerl so I upload it. I am
pretty sure there are many bugs in my program, but
since there is no FASTA parser in BioPerl I think it
is better to upload one.

currently this module can only analyze FASTA output
generated by redirection (not generated interactively)
or using -q parameter. It can only parse
single-threaded FASTA version 3.3 output under
Unix/Linux.

It is written to run standalone (independent of
BioPerl), although some functions such as throw and
warn are borrowed from RootI. In the future I can
integrate it into BioPerl framework if it is viable.

Do not hesitate to report bugs to me. Alternatively,
if you have a better parser, please upload into
repository to override mine. I believe some people may
think it is useful to have a FASTA parser. (Anyway, we
have already two BLAST parsers in BioPerl).